Cincinnati is truly the city of festivals, but since it is now getting cold, cloudy and heading towards seasonal affective disorder time, the number of outside events has declined in the past couple of weeks. But not to disappoint, Mount Adams, my wonderful, cute, and cozy little neighborhood, is picking up the slack just in time.
Tonight, I headed down to Mirror Lake (very close to the condo I lived in as a resident a couple years ago) for the annual event called Balluminaria. What!? As my helpful hair lady, Patty, described to me a few weeks ago, this was definitely an event not to miss. So, I went. Okay, I won't lie, I planned on going the minute that she told me. I event put it on my new calendar! I first have to tell you that Mirror Lake is not a lake. It is more like a big fountain. I don't remember exactly, but something like 8 laps around it makes a mile, so no, nothing like a lake, and very shallow, so this sounded strange - hot air balloons and a pond.
Like most of my planning, I went prepared. I headed on foot down the hill with my to-go coffee mug filled with hot apple cider and just a little touch of Captain Morgan (to keep me warm, of course), with no expectations. I wasn't really paying to much attention as I approached the park since I was chatting away on the phone and dodging the zillion strollers and small children, but oh my goodness, when I finally did look up, there was definitely an aahhhh moment. There were at least 10 huge hot air balloons surrounding the lake (pond). Those balloons are much bigger when they are not floating in the sky (yes, that makes sense). The heat from the fire was heating up the whole park. I was wishing that I hadn't put thermal socks and boots on before leaving the house, but I was too focused on taking pictures the minute that the fire lit up the balloons to care. I'm sure that the people with their fancy cameras and tripod set-ups got magnificent pictures (if this is you, and you would like to share, please feel free sending them my way - thank you!). I attempted to get a good picture for 30 minutes - maybe the fact that I was using my phone wasn't helpful. Maybe next year I will have a better strategy from the start. I will probably never have a tripod, but at least know the better spot to start.
Like most of my planning, I went prepared. I headed on foot down the hill with my to-go coffee mug filled with hot apple cider and just a little touch of Captain Morgan (to keep me warm, of course), with no expectations. I wasn't really paying to much attention as I approached the park since I was chatting away on the phone and dodging the zillion strollers and small children, but oh my goodness, when I finally did look up, there was definitely an aahhhh moment. There were at least 10 huge hot air balloons surrounding the lake (pond). Those balloons are much bigger when they are not floating in the sky (yes, that makes sense). The heat from the fire was heating up the whole park. I was wishing that I hadn't put thermal socks and boots on before leaving the house, but I was too focused on taking pictures the minute that the fire lit up the balloons to care. I'm sure that the people with their fancy cameras and tripod set-ups got magnificent pictures (if this is you, and you would like to share, please feel free sending them my way - thank you!). I attempted to get a good picture for 30 minutes - maybe the fact that I was using my phone wasn't helpful. Maybe next year I will have a better strategy from the start. I will probably never have a tripod, but at least know the better spot to start.
Next - don't stop reading here. This is important if you like dogs.. I almost think that this piece of news deserves its own blog post, but since it's so exciting, I will share it with you now. Last year at work, there was dog costume parade at Halloween (the kids were in the parade too). Well, in a few short weeks, there will be a giant dog Christmas costume parade here in Mount Adams (another reason this neighborhood is fantastic!). It is called the REINDOG PARADE. I just learned about this tonight, and I absolutely cannot wait. Front row spot on my front porch with hot chocolate. Feel free to join. I only wish I had my Petunia by this time!!




No comments:
Post a Comment