Thursday, November 10, 2011

Crate Calendar & Burlap Garland

Wow.  I haven't crafted this much since I was in pharmacy school.  Hopefully, it will be obvious after reading this that I select DIY projects on the 'easy' scale.  In my old crafting days, (haha, that is old person sounding) Pintrest didn't exist to borrow everyone's crafty ideas.  What a great concept and addicting website!  My only concern is that if I keep up at this rate my little house might burst at the seams with homemade goodies, look like a tacky craft fair or maybe need to be submitted to Hoarders at some point.  Or even worse, all of you might start getting these crafty little projects in the mail as gifts, ah... gasp.  I'll try to refrain and actually give real gifts this year.  

Crate Calendar

My first Pintrest project was the crate calendar.  I love the idea of keeping track of all my favorite memories in one place and having the ability to store treasures (tickets, pictures, trinkets, coasters - why do I keep those?).  I have yet to have sustain a calendar of any kind, paper or electronic, any longer than about 2 months, and my memory somedays is like that of a really old person (likely with Alzheimers).  Maybe this one will work since its so cute, I keep it right above my bed, and only write fun memories.  The other reason why I adore this project - I love giant index cards.  I don't know why.  I just think they are great and can be so useful.  The last vital component of this project - I need interesting things to write on the cards, like exciting activities (and not things like work, tv, and blah, blah, blah things).  I guess it will be obvious when I need to spice up my life a bit.

The picture below is the original from the the website that the I followed to make my calendar.  I also cut my cards and found one of those old date stamps for the corner of the cards.  Now, I can record years worth of fun memories!  (For now, I'll just focus on a year at a time).  



To make your own crate calendar you will need:
4 pack index cards
date stamp (try staples or office max)
stamp pad
basket or crate


Burlap Garland

So, for the second project, I selected some natural looking, or maybe I should say natural fiber Christmas garland.  Yes, I agree, it IS too early for Christmas decorations, but I promised myself tonight that this will be it.  This project also came from Pintrest (click here to see the original website), adopted in my own way. 

I tried to take some pictures, as a step-by-step guide, but they are really not helpful.  I bought 2 yards of  burlap in 3 different colors, red, natural and cream, as I wasn't sure where I was going to put it at the time.  I knew this was going to be a messy project as the burlap fibers were covering my coat and the entire counter at the fabric store.  I cut the burlap into about 3-inch strips (variable) while watching to the CMA's this week.  Music was helpful, as this took some time.  That was a lot of fabric.  Messy, shedding fabric.  


I used kids scissors.  Perhaps better scissors would have helped.  
(Action photo!  Are you impressed?!)

I made it!   Don't look at the old ugly fireplace.

 I folded each strip and used a giant needle to string each strip onto floral wire (its still holding)

After putting together the first strip and top of the mantel, I loved the red burlap too much not to do something with it.  So, I strung another piece, a little more crazy this time (the burlap I mean, in all different directions).  I'm still not sure what I think about it hanging, but it's growing on me.  Who knows, maybe by the time Christmas rolls around in a few months, I'll really like it.  




To make, you will need:
Burlap, 2-3 yards, cut into 3-inch strips
Needle, bigger the better for stringing burlap (careful!)
Heavy wire (floral wire works)

That's it!  I think this definitely qualifies as "easy" but goes in the possibly "messy" category.  Make sure you don't wear good clothes - burlap fibers will cover you head to toe.  Well, hopefully not in your hair, unless you are trowing the strips.  

2 comments:

  1. It's so cute! I love your crafts. Come decorate my house for holidays, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garlands look great! I love that red burlap. I had fibers everywhere too.

    ReplyDelete