Monday, May 27, 2013

There's No Place Like the Lake

A lake is one of the greatest places to spend a warm summer weekend.  Especially a holiday weekend.  And The Lake of the Ozarks is the best.  

I haven't even left The Lake yet, and I'm already excited to tell you about it.

In case you have no idea where The Lake is, I have included a map below.  If I got the star wrong (for you super geographically educated people), I apologize, but it is located in Missouri.  And also, so you don't worry about my navigation skills, I did not follow the yellow line in my car.

Just a little side note - Never drive though this area of the country if you don't have to.  It may be just about the least exciting drive that you have ever been on in your life.  I even had to make my route look visually exciting on the map! In order to stay awake and arrive alive, I listen to a lot of comedy, chew a lot of gum, and consume unhealthy amounts of RedBull.

Second side note: Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska are other states that should be avoided in a road trip (or make sure that it isn't your turn to drive).  I can say that I have had spent a good portion of my car life in all three of those states too.  Don't do it.

Okay, sorry.  Can you tell I am excited to get back in the car and drive home tomorrow?

Anyway, after an 8 and a half hour drive from Cincinnati to Sunrise Beach, MO, I dove right into a swim suit, grabbed a beer and hoped on the boat for a evening cruise.

My location 10 minutes after driving up to the house!  Ah!

The rest of the crew was soon arriving so we headed back to the house for a snack, perhaps a second drink and bonfire preparation.


I have never seen my dad prepare for anything.  We used to play "pick-up-sticks" around the yard to collect wood for the fire.



He may then have had a bit too much fun.  And we were not singing campfire songs.

Goodnight Moon


























Each lake day was supposed to be "the best weather day".  Which turned out not to be true.  They were all good days.

Saturday was spent boating, visiting friends, touring party cove, and family bonding.  Each lake weekend is new and exciting as is with the company that comes with it.  (Smile, cheesy)


Party Cove Back in Action

Post-Boat Activities

I am related to 2 people in this picture.  Guess which ones?
We dress well.

My mom and aunt have taught me everything that I need to know about being prepared no matter where you go with the essential supplies.  Saturday's supplies included: chips and dips, BL Lime, sweet tea deliciousness and a few other treats.



And Sunday was reserved for a little recovery, enjoying more good weather, and FIREWORKS!  And apparently it was the day that I discovered picture collages.  






The dogs also had a great weekend and enjoyed a boat ride.  Winston only jumped out of the boat twice for extreme excitement.



Spending a weekend at the Lake makes me 100% reconsider my retirement plan.  I definitely am going to need to shift things around a bit so I can cruise around the lake on a big boat sipping frozen cocktails.

Happy Memorial Day!




Title courtesy of Tanner Nebbia - thanks t-neb

No comments:

Post a Comment