Sadly, I wasn't there at the track to find out how much I actually won, as our cold entourage headed out when we realized that the rain was endless, our food was soaking wet, and we could do nothing but shiver and hide under umbrellas. Don't you worry, I can still cash in my earnings!
While I hid under by raincoat or umbrella for most of the day with my friend Fireball, I did a little sightseeing to check out awesome people and outfits (see below). I am also nominating our crew as the most prepared group of tailgaters on the backside. Our week long preparation provided any beverage desired, snacks for the hungry and seats for the weary. One seat even had a seat-belt. I haven't decided it safer or a recipe for disaster. Despite some setbacks with the weather, we are now professional tailgaters.
In case you want to have as equally awesome of a tailgate, or you want to tag along ours, I should share my tips for having a successful tailgate under any conditions:
1. Make a shopping list and obtain goods. Stick to to the food list, and over splurge on the cocktails. I am not suggesting to have a free-for-all in the liquor store. Take a list and get the required elements (champagne for early morning mimosas and wine and schnapps for sangria) and then add extras (fireball, of course, and rum for mojitos). Take a look at your shopping cart when you head towards the check out and make note to throw in some ibuprofen and pedialyte.
| Prepare: Make a list of necessities and then always add more. |
2. Get yourself together for the big show. Derby requirements include: cute dresses, high heels, spray tan, and fabulous hats or huge fascinators (feather things for the hair). So, get together a cute outfit but be realistic and always take a back-up. At some point in the day, you are going to stop caring about your heels and wish you had on something more comfortable. I almost died last year in heels. Really. We ended up barefoot walking through trash. Flats seemed more reasonable this year than trudging trough trash. And being on the backside of the track doesn't require as much fancy or primping.
3. Prepare as much ahead of time for tailgating. We collected our supplies throughout the week and made food and drinks the night before. If you are heading to the track early (9am), try not to drink all of the cocktails the night before. Well, uh, maybe just a few or less than 7 for sure if they look too delicious to pass up. If you over-do it, you just won't be as ready for the game.
Before picture: (This is the only picture that I have in our Derby attire. Not sure why. We are terrible photographers)
After pictures: cold to cold and wet
4. And finally, what you should do...
Buckle in & have a good time
Enjoy the scenery (including fabulous outfits... it's like Halloween right?)
And most importantly, know that cocktails build warmth
After pictures: cold to cold and wet
| Cute umbrellas always make things happy |
![]() |
| And see-through umbrellas are the best invention ever. |
4. And finally, what you should do...
Buckle in & have a good time
Enjoy the scenery (including fabulous outfits... it's like Halloween right?)
![]() |
| (Picture courtesy of Danielle) |
And most importantly, know that cocktails build warmth
Happy Derby-ing to you all.


No comments:
Post a Comment