Monday, February 18, 2013

Beat the Winter Blues



I am in full on hibernation mode.  Reminiscing over the warm, bright sunny days that seem so long ago.       Ahhh, so pathetic... I know, so after hiding out in my house day after day, shutting the back door as fast as possible after Winston takes one of his 47 trips outside each day, writing blog posts about summer fun and wishing each and every day that I could throw away all my winter coats for good, I have decided that I need an attitude adjustment (about winter!).  These ideas are just a beginning, not a promise, but a self generated idea of supplies to improve the winter blues. 

Mad Men on Netflix.  After making it through more than 40 episodes already (and this is not an exaggeration), I am officially obsessed with this show and have already added it to my requirements for a cozy winter.  It is likely that I am going to go into a depression when I get to the end of this Netflix marathon.


A floppy, soft, big cozy dog.  My furry pal, Winston, is also in a winter slump because he doesn't get to head out for joyous walks nearly as much, but he loves the snow!!!!  My next winter saver requirement - Doggy Day Care.  Best thing on earth.  Saves me nights of running around the kitchen island chasing my silly dog.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my dog.  He is happiest living thing that I know, but his 4-legged friends at day care can wear him out more than I can ever do.  He then heads home with only 150% energy instead of 370%.    He then doesn't seem to mind cuddling on the couch and looking up at me with his big sad puppy dog eyes.


I told him we were going outside...


Cozy, warm, and mostly unflattering clothes.  For couch days, bed days and just in case a trip outside is required.  I don't take pictures of myself when I look like this, so I have no picture or caption for this winter mood booster.  Regularly scheduled trips to the mall on the weekend become both a highlight and an adventure worse than a trip to Kroger on the night before Thanksgiving.  I definitely can justify a trip to the mall by telling myself that it is too cold inside my house to stay warm in the clothes that I already have or that I need "cuter" winter clothes.  And if I am really stretching for ideas to get out of the house and shop, I decide that I need new outside winter gear for the day that I decide to start running outside with Winston during the biggest snowstorm of the year.  REI is a good winter friend.  All the warm necessities for those "just in case" times, such as an impromptu trip to the Bengals stadium in December.

Take as many layers as possible.  And lots of hot hands
they will be your new best friend!

Fire, a real fire.  It's inviting, cozy and brings the outside in.  Ahhh, why does the though of fire immediately make me happy?  Perfect Christmas Eve.


I should leave the fire tending to the boys.

Family, friends, festivities and food.  Spending time with family always lifts spirits during cold, snowy days.  Celebrating birthdays, visiting people far away, and even the thrill of leaving town for a little while (even if it requires enduring busy airports and plane delays) always warms my spirits.  Where do you escape to during the winter blues?



Travel and escape happy!  Wishing you continued safe winter travels!

I love flying when it is like this.  


Stay warm and if decide to hibernate, I recommend you collect your favorite things to ward off any winter blues!


No comments:

Post a Comment