After spending Christmas week last year on-call and Thanksgiving this year working in Cincinnati, I was thrilled to hop on a plane and spend 7 glorious days with my parents, siblings and a few extras under one roof. I actually was sad when my sister left me behind to shop, but after her 4th day of shopping, I was sad no longer. I was very happy with my spot right on the couch, next to the cookies!
I should first tell you that I gained a few pounds during this week long vacation, and I don't know this because I stepped on a scale. I'm only guessing because all my pants are a lot tighter and we went to EVERY one of my favorite foods in Kansas City. That, is in itself the best Christmas present ever! Let's see, my food tour across Kansas City included:
Cactus Grill - they have the best chicken tortilla salad. Diane even sent me one by overnight mail for my birthday a couple years ago. That present will be hard to top! Like every Mexican restaurant, I always eat way too many chips and get full before my food arrives - but not to worry - Cactus serves a half size salad!!
Jackstack Barbecue - oh my gosh, I miss Kansas City barbecue so much! I know there are a lot of Montgomery Inn fans, but I wish there was a way for me to bring you some of this. I could eat it everyday. I believe that I ruined a new shirt the other night (okay, maybe it was after the "party" bus) - now I know why you should eat barbecue with a bib - I needed one!
Herford House - any Kansas City steakhouse belongs across the pages of Midwest Living - if it was about restaurants - well, I guess that magazine probably does exist, I'm just not sure what it is called. I could probably write a whole story about our trip to the HH. I will spare you the long story and just say that the kind waitress spilled a few glasses of almost empty wine, brought us a couple "complimentary" glasses and we ended up with probably too much! My filet was absolutely delicious, and the decor was fitting - heads of animals, ropes and things that belong in a steakhouse. On the way out the door, I enjoyed a mint and a picture before being politely asked to remove myself from the the bull.
Nachos Navidad - Before arrival of 8 more guests at the Nebbia house, we celebrated an early Christmas on Thursday night. After a fancy dinner of Nachos (a wonderful tradition now, thanks, Teri!), we all headed to the living room to open presents for the first round of Navidad.
Merry Christmas from Kansas City!
Merry Christmas from Kansas City!


I want to start with saying that I do not believe for a second that you gained any weight. You certainly don't show it.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, I am super jealous of your restaurant tour. I hope to replicate the spirit next time I go home.